Areas of Practice
Firm Management Positions
Career Development Committee, Member
Honors and Awards
- National Security Education Program Scholar, 1999-2000
- Selected to serve on Panel of Critical Readers for Garner's Modern American Usage, 3d ed., 2009
Memberships and Affiliations
Member, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection’s Sewage Advisory Committee, 2013 to 2015
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Council Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association Environmental & Energy Law Section
James S. Bowman Inn of Court
J.D., Penn State The Dickinson School of Law, 2006
- Editor in Chief, Penn State Environmental Law Review
- Recipient, 2006 CALI Award for the highest grade in Advocacy I
- Recipient, The Carter prize for the highest combined grades in Environmental Law & Environmental Litigation
- Recipient, Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law
B.A., Juniata College, 2001
- La Universidad de las Americas, 1999-2000, Puebla, Mexico
Andrew T. Bockis
Andrew Bockis is an associate in the Project and Resource Development Practice where he represents clients in matters related to environmental regulation and policy.
Immediately prior to joining Saul Ewing, Andrew was assistant counsel with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection’s Bureau of Regulatory Counsel. While there, he counseled the Department as it assumed jurisdiction from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission over the regulation of most radioactive materials in the Commonwealth. This included providing legal advice on issues related to nuclear safety, licensing, the medical use of byproduct material, environmental surveillance, and the decommissioning of radiologically contaminated sites. He also initiated enforcement proceedings on behalf of the Department for violations of the Radon Certification Act.
Prior to that, Andrew served as assistant counsel to the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board (EHB), a position he held for more than two years. In this capacity, he counseled the Board on complex environmental laws and regulations and helped judges draft opinions and adjudications relating to oil and gas, mining, solid and hazardous waste, and air and water quality matters.
Andrew brings to the firm a strong grasp of Pennsylvania's complex environmental laws and regulations, as well as an insider's knowledge and perspective on how the EHB and the Commonwealth's Department of Environmental Protection operate.
While in law school, Andrew was a law clerk for the litigation bureau of the Department of Environmental Protection, as well as the Public School Employee's Retirement System, and the Pennsylvania Department of State Hearing Examiner’s Office. He is fluent in Spanish.
Articles, Alerts & Newsletters
- New law requires Pennsylvania state agencies to consider impact on small businesses before passing new regulationsJuly 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- Pennsylvania DEP proposes new general permit for earth disturbance activities associated with oil and gas and pipeline projectsJanuary 2012
- July 2011
- June 1, 2011
- March 2011
- Fall 2010PBA Solo & Small Firm Practice Section News
Tools & Books
- July 1, 2010The Pennsylvania Bar Institute