Areas of Practice
Firm Management Positions
Venture Capital/Private Equity, Co-Chair
Honors and Awards
- Selected as a Philadelphia "Legal Elite" by SmartCEO magazine’s reader poll in 2010
Memberships and Affiliations
American Bar Association, Business Law Section Member
Delaware Bar Association
Member, Alternative Entity Subcommittee, Delaware Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Fellowship of Christian Athletes
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 2002, cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, Law Review, Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
- Widener Scholar
- Dean’s Honors List
B.A., Franklin and Marshall College, 1996
- Dean's List Honors
- Justice Joseph T. Walsh, Supreme Court of Delaware
Chad T. Williams
Chad Williams is a business lawyer and co-chair of the Firm’s Venture Capital and Private Equity Practice. Chad’s practice covers a broad range of general corporate, commercial and transactional matters, with a focus on technology, emerging growth companies and family-owned enterprises. He serves as outside general counsel to many companies and provides advice and support to those companies through all stages of growth, from formation and operation matters to merger and acquisition transactions.
Chad’s merger and acquisition practice includes both buy-side and sell-side representation, and he has significant experience advising senior management and boards of directors on matters relating to corporate governance, fiduciary duties, internal investigations, corporate financing transactions, strategic alliances and joint ventures.
Chad’s venture capital and private equity practice involves the representation of growth companies as well as investors. He has advised companies and investors in a variety of industries, including: information technology, software, e-commerce, social media, RFID, medical device, medical practice, professional services, telecommunications, manufacturing and real estate development.
Chad is a member of Delaware’s Alternative Entities Subcommittee, which is responsible for drafting Delaware’s preeminent partnership and limited liability company statutes. His service on this committee provides him with unique insight into the legislative history and intent behind the annual changes to these statutes.
Prior to joining Saul Ewing, Chad was General Counsel and Vice President of Business Development for Cordjia, where he was responsible for legal affairs of the firm and its portfolio investments. He also participated in the founding and operation of several of Cordjia’s start-up initiatives. Prior to joining Cordjia, Chad was in private practice as a business lawyer in Wilmington, Delaware.
Chad lives in West Chester, Pennsylvania with his wife and four children, where he is involved in his community and coaches youth lacrosse.
- Representation of general partners in the formation of early stage venture capital fund focused on technology investments
- Representation of multiple information technology companies in venture capital financing transactions
- Representation of private equity company in its disposition of portfolio company investments
- Representation of privately held business services company in multiple roll-up acquisitions
- Representation of a materials company in the negotiation and formation of a joint development venture in connection with a multi-million dollar defense contract
- Representation of an insurance services provider in connection with the negotiation of a multi-million dollar consulting services agreement
- Representation of the members of a medical practice in connection with buy/sell planning and the negotiation and drafting of a shareholders’ agreement
- Representation of several real estate investor groups in work-out negotiations with financial institutions
- Representation of several syndicate participants in connection with the potential acquisition of a multi-billion dollar loan portfolio
- Represented an India-based broker in precious metals with respect to its sale of its partnership interest in a mining operation in the Western United States
- Advised several colleges and universities in connection with joint venture and other business matters related to technology development, partnerships and board governance matters
- Served as Delaware counsel and rendered opinions on matters of Delaware law in multiple financing transactions.
News & Press Releases
Articles, Alerts & Newsletters
- January 2013
- November 1, 2012
- Guardian Elder Care at Brockway LLC v. WRC Highland View Healthcare: Absent Express Provision to the Contrary, a Buyer's Due Diligence Does Not Affect the Seller's Liability for Breach of Representations and Warranties in the Acquisition ContextOctober 2012
- Delaware Chancery Court Finds No Inherent Conflict Between Strict Criminal Liability Under the Responsible Corporate Officer Doctrine and Indemnification for Legal Fees and ExpensesMarch 2012
- January 2012