Areas of Practice
Firm Management Positions
Memberships and Affiliations
Board of Trustees, Peter’s Place
Member, Board of Directors, Anti-Defamation League, Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter
Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section
Member, American Health Lawyers Association Accountable Care Organization Task Force
J.D., Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law
M.B.A., Drexel University, summa cum laude
B.S., Pennsylvania State University
- New Jersey
George W. Bodenger
George Bodenger concentrates his practice in health law, and represents hospitals, physician groups and other providers on a wide variety of corporate and transactional issues. George also has significant experience in fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance and investigative matters, as well as administrative law matters involving federal and state healthcare-related regulatory agencies.
George represents a wide range of health care providers in connection with positioning themselves in the changing health care marketplace, especially in light of the Affordable Care Act. This includes advising clients with regard to consolidations, affiliations and mergers/acquisitions, as well as other strategic affiliations, alliances, joint ventures and other types of commercial relationships relating to accountable care organizations, and quality of care and cost management incentive programs.
Prior to entering private legal practice, George worked for more than 10 years at Ernst & Young in the firm's healthcare management consulting practice. During his tenure with Ernst & Young, he conducted financial feasibility studies associated with over $500 million in bond financing and commercial lending. In addition, George specialized in strategic and tactical planning for hospitals and health systems. These skill sets provide George with a unique perspective in assisting his clients to achieve their business objectives in the complex healthcare legal environment.
- Structuring physician-hospital joint ventures involving urgent care centers, ambulatory surgery centers and radiation therapy centers, among others.
- Assisting healthcare providers in the structuring and negotiation of a wide variety of telemedicine contracts, including physicians and hospitals.
- Representing hospitals and physicians in the formation and development of “co-management” and “clinical integration” arrangements in cardiology, orthopedics and gastroenterology.
- Developing and implementing “pay-for-performance” incentive compensation programs for physician group practices.
- Representing a nationally-known multispecialty physician group in its sale to a publicly-traded hospital company.
- Representing health systems and hospitals in the negotiation of third party payer contracts with various commercial insurers.
- Performing compliance program risk assessments and compliance program effectiveness reviews for multi-hospital systems (including an academic medical center) and community hospitals.
- Representing hospitals in the negotiation of exclusive professional services agreements for various hospital-based physician groups, including anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, pathology and adult acute care inpatient (“hospitalist”).
- Representing a health system in the negotiation of an affiliation agreement with a publicly-traded dialysis company for the provision of inpatient and outpatient dialysis services at multiple facilities.
- Representing a community, nonprofit hospital in the development and implementation of a cardiac surgery affiliation agreement with a large health system, including the recruitment of multiple cardiac surgeons and various cardiology subspecialists.
- Representing nonprofit hospitals and medical practices in the negotiation of physician recruitment arrangements.
- Represented physicians in matters relating to state licensure and medical board hearings.
News & Press Releases
- July 15, 2013
- May 17, 2012
- July 10, 2006
- April 17, 2006
- April 12, 2006
- May 5, 2005
- May 2005
- March 29, 2005
Articles, Alerts & Newsletters
- September 2013
- OIG Maintains Its Position that "Carve Outs" of Federal Health Program Beneficiaries Implicate the Anti-Kickback StatuteJune 2013
- January 2013
- September 2012
- Recent OIG Advisory Opinion Cautions Against Certain Anesthesiologist/Ambulatory Surgery Center ArrangementsJuly 2012
- June 2012
- October 2011
- September 2009
- September 2009
- June 30, 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008
- New Jersey Court Holds that Physician Referrals to Freestanding Ambulatory Surgical Centers in Which the Physician Holds a Financial Interest Violate State Physician Self-Referral LawJanuary 2008
- 2008 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule: Summary of Proposed Changes to Stark Regulations and Related Medicare Reimbursement MattersJuly 2007
Tools & Books
- February 1, 2009Aspatore Books
- January 1, 2009Inside the Minds
- September 1, 2008American Health Lawyers Association
- March 1, 2001American Health Lawyers Association