Areas of Practice
Honors and Awards
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America list, Insurance Law, 2006 to present
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004 to present
- Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- George W. Yancy Memorial Award, International Association of Defense Counsel, 2002
Memberships and Affiliations
Member, American College of Coverage and Extra-Contractual Counsel
Member, Defense Research Institute
Past Chair, Casualty Insurance Committee, International Association of Defense Counsel
Past Chair, Reinsurance Committee, International Association of Defense Counsel
Member, Board of Directors, Wallingford-Swarthmore School District, 1999-2004
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1984
- Member, Hastings Law Review
B.A., University of California at Santa Barbara, 1980, with highest honors
Paul M. Hummer
Paul Hummer is a commercial litigator whose practice is focused on the representation of insurers and reinsurers in complex civil litigation.
- Herman v. Capital Blue Cross (PA): State court class action brought by policyholder challenging corporate governance practices; case dismissed for lack of standing.
- Boyko v. AIG et. al. (D. N.J.):Federal court class action brought by policyholder challenging premium collection practices; case settled on favorable terms after national class was successfully limited to just 14 persons.
- Edwards v. 21st Century Insurance (D. N.J.): Federal court class action brought by policyholder challenging policy procurement practices.
- Sammons v. Hartford (DE): State court class action brought by policyholder challenging timeliness of claim payments; dismissal for lack of standing affirmed by Delaware Supreme Court.
- Baker v. Hartford (D. DE): Federal court class action brought by policyholder challenging claim payment practices; dismissal for failure to state a claim affirmed by Third Circuit.
- T.D. Bank v. City of Harrisburg (PA): Representation of a bond insurer in litigation against a defaulting municipal guarantor including successful challenge to City’s ability to file for bankruptcy.
- In Re Penn Treaty (PA):Representation of agents in litigation related to solvency of an insurance company; successfully prevented attempt to cut-off commission payments while company was in rehabilitation.
- SAP America v. Swiss Re International (E.D. PA): Representation of an insurer in bad faith litigation; successfully stayed case in deference to London arbitration proceedings.
- American Alternative Insurance Company v. Howard Bank (MD) Representation of an insurer in litigation with producer and bank to recover premiums collected but not remitted.
- Century Indemnity v. Munich Re America (E.D. PA):Representation of a reinsurer in suit by a ceding company arising from settlement of environmental liabilities.
- Munich Re America v. Tower Insurance Company of New York (D. NJ): Representation of a reinsurer in action against a retrocessionare for liabilities arising from habitational risk insurance program.
- Munich Re America v. American National Insurance Company (D. NJ):Representation of a reinsurer in action against a retrocessionare for liabilities arising from workers compensation insurance.
- Confidential Arbitration on behalf of a reinsurer relating to claims under a cut-through endorsement.
- Confidential Arbitration on behalf of a ceding company relating to recovery of losses on a maritime construction program.
- Confidential Arbitration on behalf of a ceding company relating to recovery of environmental losses.
- Confidential Arbitration on behalf of ceding company relating to additional premium due to reinsurer.
News & Press Releases
- December 3, 2012
- December 2, 2011
- Saul Ewing LLP Partner to Be Nominated to Serve as Insurance Commissioner of Commonwealth of PennsylvaniaJanuary 13, 2011
- August 25, 2010
Articles, Alerts & Newsletters
- January 2013
- Policyholder Access to ReinsuranceDecember 2003Mealey's Litigation Report
- When Insurers Go Belly Up: Implications for Insurers, Policyholders and Guaranty FundsOctober 2003Defense Counsel Journal
- An Exercise in Futility? Grounds for Vacating Arbitration AwardsMay 22, 2003ARIAS U.S. Quarterly