Responsive Service and Real-World Guidance
Attorneys in Saul Ewing's Financial Services practice advise and represent local, community and regional banks, credit unions and other private and public finance entities in a wide range of transactional and business matters. The attorneys in this practice group offer practical legal guidance based on their significant experience in the banking industry and access to a broad array of resources, including the support and experience of attorneys from our Business, Real Estate, Insurance, Venture Capital, and Bankruptcy practices.
Clients We Advise
Saul Ewing has a long tradition of service to the financial services industry in the Mid-Atlantic region. Our clients include:
- Federal and state chartered banks and thrifts
- Federal and state chartered credit unions
- Non-depository trust companies
- Bank holding companies
- Credit card banks
- Mezzanine Lenders
- Venture Capital Firms
- Finance companies
- Mortgage brokerage firms
- Leasing and special financing entities
- Insurance companies
- Securities brokers/dealers
- Creditors' committees.
Our Service Portfolio
Whether a client needs support in a single specialized area, such as loan documentation and structuring, or requires legal counsel across its many operations, Saul Ewing can respond. Our team includes attorneys with experience in regulatory issues; securities; financial and business transactions of various types; and corporate governance; bankruptcy; labor and employment and general business matters. We have organized new banks and stock insurance companies, handled mergers and acquisitions, overseen conversion of mutual to stock form, formed mutual holding companies, and integrated bank and insurance companies.
We handle secured and asset-based lending transactions for many clients throughout the region, and we can represent clients in numerous aspects of domestic and international secured and unsecured lending. Several of our attorneys have substantial experience in UCC Article 9 secured transactions. We also have extensive experience in structuring special insurance programs, as well as leases and financing for facilities and transportation assets, including ships and aircraft.
We regularly represent mezzanine lenders and venture capital firms in structuring and restructuring debt and equity for new ventures and struggling companies. With experience in corporate and commercial bankruptcy, as well as an appreciation of business issues, our attorneys help business clients restructure debt, reorganize and emerge from bankruptcy.
Unlike many large firms in the region, we have a practice dedicated to serving credit unions. One of our attorneys has more than a decade of experience in this area, serving credit unions throughout the country with assets ranging from $2 million to $1 billion.
- Represent banks in mergers and acquisitions
- Represent banks in capital raising transactions
- Represent a community bank holding company in securities transactions and disclosures
- Assist credit unions in charter conversions
- Handle audits of board of directors' policies and procedures for compliance with best practices in corporate governance
- Represent boards of banks and credit unions in contentious elections processes and related regulatory filings
- Represent lenders and borrowers in commercial loan transactions, loan workouts, commercial collections and bankruptcy
- Handled a "conversion merger" when a mutual savings and loan association converted to stock form and merged into another stock savings and loan association
- Represented a state corporate credit union in a merger with another larger regional corporate credit union
- Represented a nonprofit unregulated trust company in its conversion to a for profit company and its conversion to a regulated non-depository trust company with a concomitant stock offering to raise the required capital for a regulated non-depository trust company Knowledge of Financial Services Industry
Our attorneys understand the financial services industry and the environment in which it operates. Attorneys on our Financial Services team have extensive experience in business and other areas of law in addition to their industry knowledge. This wealth of industry insight and resources enables our attorneys to serve our clients, achieving their business goals efficiently and effectively.
- July 30, 2012
- Riley represents NAMB in lawsuit to protect mortgage brokers in rule by the Federal Reserve under the Truth-in-Lending ActMarch 10, 2011
- October 2010
- March 30, 2011
Alerts & Newsletters
- Maryland Appellate Decision Makes It Easier for Creditors Holding Notes with Gaps in the Chain of Title to ForecloseJuly 2012
- Proposed New Jersey Legislation Seeks to Transform Foreclosed Homes into Affordable Housing and to Expedite Foreclosure Procedures for Uncontested Actions Against Vacant and Abandoned Real PropertyFebruary 2012
- December 2011
- May 18, 2006
- May 1, 2011
- May 1, 2011
- March 27, 2007
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- March 14, 2013
- September 18, 2012