Kara P. Pike
Kara Pike advises clients in the insurance industry on regulatory matters involving federal and state insurance laws. Her experience includes working on numerous multi-state insurance regulatory issues, including underwriting limitations, unfair discrimination, partnership policy requirements, rebating, and rate and form requirements. Kara also handles various matters related to InsurTech and assists clients in navigating the rapidly evolving regulatory landscape surrounding InsurTech. These matters include advising insurance entities on regulatory and transactional issues involved in adopting new technologies and distribution models and advising InsurTech startups with regulatory compliance and agreements. Kara's keen understanding of state regulation and the legislative process stems not only from her private practice but also from her past work in the executive branch of Pennsylvania state government.
Before joining Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr, Kara served as deputy general counsel in the Governor's Office of General Counsel (OGC) as well as assistant deputy general counsel in the Legislative Group. In her capacity as deputy general counsel in the OGC, Kara served as liaison counsel to the Department of Revenue and the Office of the Coordinator. Her experience in state government included serving as the special assistant to the chief of staff and acting deputy chief of staff in the Governor's Office, where she was liaison to several departments and executive agencies.
Select representative matters include:
- Monitoring and reporting on a nationwide basis long-term care insurance regulatory and legislative actions.
- Preparing multi-state compliance surveys for insurance carriers.
- Drafting license applications for insurance carriers and insurance agents.
- Assisting in the preparation of expert reports on behalf of an insurance carrier for class actions involving Lender Placed Insurance ("LPI").
- Representing an insurance company in connection with an equity interpleader action related to proceeds from an insurance claim.