Michael P. Cianfichi
Michael Cianfichi represents management in employment litigation matters before federal and state courts, federal and state agencies, and arbitrators. He has defended both single and multiple plaintiff actions involving gender, race, age, national origin and disability discrimination and retaliation under federal, state and local laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family Medical Leave Act. He has also handled disputes in wage and hour cases under the Fair Labor Standards Act and state law equivalents. In addition, Michael provides clients with legal and practical advice on employment matters. This includes advising clients to proactively address employment disputes by drafting and revising employee handbooks, policies and agreements to strengthen practices and procedures.
Michael’s other experience defending employers and their interests includes:
- Receiving a defense verdict in a federal jury trial against a former employee alleging discrimination.
- Obtaining dismissals by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and state equivalent agencies on charges of discrimination, retaliation, or hostile work environment.
- Litigating preliminary injunctions and temporary restraining orders in non-compete actions to prevent former employees from soliciting clients or taking confidential information.
- Advising employers through reductions in force and termination best practices.
- Investigating workplace discrimination and harassment to mitigate risk and liability.
While earning his law degree at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, Michael was a student attorney and mentor in the low income taxpayer clinic and a law clerk in the Felony Major Crimes Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office in the District of Columbia. Michael has also provided pro bono representation in matters involving educational disability rights, immigration, and prisoner civil rights.
- 1 of 4
- next ›