Valerie G. Pennacchio
Valerie Pennacchio represents clients in the insurance industry in a wide array of litigation. She handles suits involving alleged misrepresentations and fraud in the sale of insurance, disputes relating to the administration and lapse of life insurance policies, disputes concerning entitlement to insurance benefits and breach of contract, bad faith and consumer fraud claims.
Valerie also is knowledgeable about ERISA and has experience litigating claims under this law. She co-authored the Third Circuit chapter of multiple volumes of the ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits, published by the American Bar Association, and is a frequent contributing author to various publications by the International Claim Association.
Select representative matters include:
- Defending national insurance companies in suits challenging denial of benefits under individual and ERISA-governed group disability and health policies.
- Defended life insurer against claims of negligence and breach of contract where insurer mistakenly processed change of beneficiary without consent of irrevocable beneficiary. The Second Circuit upheld the decision.
- Defended insurance company against claims of negligence and fraud in connection with sale of life insurance policies.
- Represented national insurance companies seeking to rescind life and disability policies due to material misrepresentations in the application.
- Represented national insurance and annuity companies in interpleader actions due to conflicting claims to benefits under life policies.