Focused on Closing Deals Quickly and Efficiently
Private equity investments come in all sizes—minority investments, asset purchases, buyouts—and often combine various levels of equity and debt from multiple parties. Investors strive to effectively manage deal structures, economics and complexities while quickly moving the transaction to closing in a competitive market.
Saul Ewing’s Private Equity attorneys help investors meet these goals by working closely with them to structure innovative, tax-advantaged deals. We advise large and mid-market private equity funds and sponsors, lenders in private financings involving mezzanine debt, individual investors, and family offices in:
- Minority and controlling investments
- Leveraged and management buyouts
- Debt financing
- Fund formation and management
Our Private Equity team regularly collaborates with attorneys in complementary practices—such as Tax, Securities, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, and Real Estate—when related matters arise to provide our clients with streamlined support.
Saul Ewing attorneys advised on these select private equity representations:
- A private equity and venture capital firm in acquiring controlling interest in an electronics manufacturing firm. The deal included an asset purchase, senior bank loan, mezzanine subordinated debt loan to the company and Series A preferred equity investment.
- A private equity and venture capital firm in a debt and equity investment in a home health care services company through the issuance of a mezzanine loan and the purchase of about 10 percent of the preferred units of the company.
- A private equity and venture capital firm in its investment of subordinated debt and equity in support of a private equity firm’s acquisition of a publisher of education materials.
- A private equity fund in a $46 million joint venture relating to the acquisition of rehabilitation centers and related financing.
- A private equity fund in its $40 million investment in a national cash processing company.
- A private equity firm in the $18 million leveraged acquisition of a foreign portfolio company.
- A buy-out team in connection with the purchase of a specialty hamburger and craft brew restaurant group, including subordinated debt, the acquisition of licensing rights and an SBA loan.
- A private equity fund in its acquisition of an investment portfolio consisting of national fast food chain restaurants and related financing.
- A national provider of customizable lighting in its $103 million sale to a private equity firm. We handled a variety of matters, including corporate documentation, due diligence, corporate reorganization, real estate matters, tax structuring, executive compensation and employment documentation, and environmental issues.
- A private equity fund in the acquisition and later sale of a novelty gift retailer.
- A group of management employees in identifying investors and helping the employees raise the capital to fund the acquisition of a division of a large international conglomerate. With our support, the new owners turned around the company and sold it to a public company for a six-times return on the initial investment.
- A private equity fund in connection with the financing of more than $200 million for portfolio asset acquisitions across the U.S.
- A buy-out fund in a $12 million senior warrant issuance and mezzanine loan provided in connection with the purchase of a plastic injection molding firm.
- A sponsor in senior and second lien financing for the acquisition of a health care service provider.
- A private equity and venture capital firm in a debt investment in a home health care services company through the issuance of a mezzanine loan.
- The founders of a worldwide multimedia technical production outsourcer in the recapitalization of the company by a leading private equity group.
- A private equity investment vehicle for a family office in its investment and recapitalization of an online workplace company.
- An information technology services provider in its recapitalization transaction with a family office as the lead investor and a private equity investment firm as the selling owner. Senior debt was also provided by a large financial services company and by a commercial lender.
- A Fortune 500 global energy company in the $1 billion recapitalization of its global solar business with a leading private equity sponsor.
- The founder, general partner and fund operator in the formation of a $1.1 billion alternative investment fund in mortgage- backed securities owned by a major private equity firm.
- A private equity firm in the formation of a $100 million distressed company private equity fund.
- An investment adviser and portfolio manager on private fund formation and related matters.
- An investment management firm in forming a fund to invest in the cannabis industry.