Opportunities for renewable projects appear on the upswing. The market is showing an increased appetite for renewable projects, technology efficiencies are advancing and stakeholders—millennials in particular—are demanding more sustainability. Some U.S. states have outlined aggressive plans for renewable energy projects, such as offshore wind turbines serving as the base energy source within the next 25 years. Additional energy-efficiency initiatives being pursued include community solar, clean energy technologies, micro grids, energy storage, electric vehicles and energy efficiencies for combined heat/power. However, there remain challenges for renewable projects, such as scalability, grid connectivity, cost constraints, financing, permitting and land use approvals.
Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr Energy attorneys advise a variety of clients, including power companies, renewable power developers and users, electric utility companies, investors, and lenders, in environmental regulatory matters, transactional matters and litigation matters related to renewable energy projects. Our attorneys collaborate with colleagues inside and outside the firm to serve as local counsel in multiple areas, including tax, real estate, corporate and litigation. We assist clients in shepherding projects from concept through startup, and remain engaged as needed to address ongoing operational issues, disputes and financing opportunities.
Our Renewable Energy team advises on the following areas:
- Real Estate – drafting and reviewing documents, including deeds, easements, leases and licenses; handling title, conveyance and recordation matters
- Environmental Permitting – securing permits, including air, water and solid waste permits required by local, state, and federal environmental authorities
- Zoning, Land Use and Subdivision – securing approvals on local and state levels
- Federal, State and Local Tax – advising on income (including tax credits), property, transfer and other tax issues
- Financing – representing lenders, investors and owners in securing funds for energy projects
- State Regulatory Commissions – representing clients at all stages of project approval proceedings
- Contracting – handling negotiations for the purchase of equipment and procurement agreements, construction and installation contracts, power purchase agreements (PPAs), operation and maintenance agreements, and agreements for the purchase or sale of renewable energy projects
- Government and Community Relations – managing a variety of political and local issues on behalf of our clients
- Disputes and Litigation – guiding clients through any disputes and litigation that may arise from projects, and representing them in federal and state courts and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) forums
When structuring renewable energy transactions, our attorneys work to avoid or minimize the effects of state and local tax and regulations and to minimize any requirements for state or local approvals.
The group includes attorneys who have received the following recognition: