Class and Collective Actions
Faced with a mountain of public and costly legal challenges, companies must rigorously defend themselves against "bet-the-company" class and collective actions. Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr’s Class and Collective Actions Litigation Group guides clients through all phases of class and collective action litigation defense, focusing on early case assessment and resolution. When these efforts fail, our attorneys are experienced at defeating class certification and successfully guiding these cases to conclusion. We represent companies across a variety of industries, including consumer financial services, food and beverage, insurance, as well as employers of all kinds, in federal and state courts and in multidistrict class actions.
Our team regularly handles:
- Consumer Financial Services Class Actions – defending banks, mortgage servicers, student loan servicers, auto finance companies and other finance companies from class actions arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act (CFA), among other federal and state consumer protection statutes.
- Food and Beverage Class Actions – defending nationwide class actions arising from claims of fraudulent misrepresentation and non-disclosure arising from menus. We also have defended collective and class actions arising from minimum wage, wage-and-hour, overtime and tip pooling matters brought by employees.
- Insurance Class Actions – defending insurance companies in class actions involving payment practices, premium collection, policy procurement, corporate governance and timeliness of claim payments.
- Product Liability Class Actions – defending manufacturers and distributors facing allegations of defective products from lawn chairs to medical devices.
- Employment Collective and Class Actions – defending employers in collective and class actions involving minimum wage, wage-and-hour, overtime, and tip pooling matters brought by employees. We also have represented employers in federal and state Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Acts (WARN) class actions and pattern and practice class actions brought under state and federal discrimination laws.
- Environmental Class Actions – defending landfill owners and operators in regional class actions in federal and state courts involving negligence and nuisance claims arising from odors alleged to be associated with landfill design, construction, operation and maintenance practices.
- Class Actions Across Additional Industries, including higher education and real estate.
The group includes attorneys who have received the following recognition: