Our diversified energy and utilities practitioners serve participants in the electric, natural gas, water, and telecommunications industries. We advise and represent investor owned public utility companies, merchant generators of electricity, energy marketers, large consumers of energy, institutional investors, and governmental entities.
Energy and Utilities Regulation. Our attorneys advise and represent clients in the full range of regulatory and competitive developments that are causing dramatic changes in the energy and utilities industries, including industry restructuring and regulatory reform, complex rate, rulemaking, and complaint proceedings, and approvals associated with mergers, acquisitions, and financing activities. We represent clients before local, state, and federal regulatory agencies, as well as in state and federal courts in litigation involving energy and public utility companies including contract disputes, arbitration and dispute resolution, and appeals from regulatory decisions.
Energy and Utilities Infrastructure. Our attorneys advise investor-owned utilities, merchant generators of electricity, and institutional investors on the development, financing, siting, construction, purchase, and sale of energy, telecommunications, and water and wastewater projects. We advise on the negotiation of fuel supply, power sales, energy management, steam sales, water supply agreements. In addition, our lawyers represent sellers, purchasers, lenders and investors involved in the transfer of power generation and transmission assets and in sales and purchases of interests in pipeline, storage processing and local distribution company facilities.
Attorneys regularly counsel clients on matters related to:
- Rate proceedings, administrative enforcement actions, and other regulatory proceedings before state public utility commissions
- Certificates of public convenience and necessity, licenses and permits
- Solar and wind project development, financing and permitting
- Mergers, corporate reorganizations, and asset acquisitions and divestitures
- Project and infrastructure development
- Environmental permitting and due diligence
- Defending customer and competitor complaints
- Business planning and strategic regulatory advice
- Compliance, Management and Financial Audits
- Debt and Equity Financing including infrastructure development grants and loans
- Negotiating and drafting contracts
- Litigation and appeals
With energy and utility attorneys throughout the Firm’s regional footprint, we are able to staff multiple matters in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously, effectively and efficiently. Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr’s presence “on the ground” in Delaware Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia offers clients the technical knowledge and political sensitivity that only a local presence can provide.
The group includes attorneys who have received the following recognition: