David G. Shapiro
David Shapiro advises clients on international and domestic business tax planning, including domestic and cross border expansion, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions.
David's practice includes entity formation and structure planning, securities offerings and hybrid financings, joint ventures, and strategic acquisitions and dispositions. Where appropriate, David works with counsel in other jurisdictions to develop efficient cross-border transactional and operational structures. He also assists clients in preparing for and defending against audits and other litigated matters.
Prior to joining Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr, David founded and was Managing Member of Shapiro Tax Law LLC, and prior to that was a tax partner of Dechert LLP.
- Advised insurance companies on taxation of novel insurance products and compliance requirements.
- Advised a closely held business in structuring a sale of a minority stake with options to transfer control.
- Advised on multiple restructurings and recapitalizations of domestic and multinational corporations, including the acquisition of outstanding corporate debt.
- Advised a U.S.-based real estate group on structuring Eastern European investments.
- Advised a financial services group on structuring operations in Latin America.
- Advised a closely held business with operations and owners located in and outside the U.S. on structuring and succession planning issues.
- Advised a distributor of mobile applications on structuring sales into the United States.
- Structured joint ventures and investment funds to facilitate cross-border investment by a mix of U.S. and foreign investors.
- Structured and negotiated tax aspects of domestic and cross-border acquisitions and dispositions by companies and funds.
- Managed multiple voluntary disclosure agreements and similar IRS disclosures.
David is regularly speaks before U.S. and international organizations on international and domestic tax issues. He devotes time annually during tax season to the Campaign for Working Families to help better the lives of lower-income working Philadelphians through access to the earned income credit and financial education and planning services. An avid violinist, David is a long-time member of the Lansdowne Symphony Orchestra.
- 1 of 7
- next ›