Elizabeth focuses her practice on counseling community associations both in litigation and on day-to-day operational issues. Elizabeth’s litigation experience includes litigating constitutional claims, administrative review actions, government investigations, and business litigation, such as preliminary and permanent injunctions, declaratory judgments, insurance issues, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and breaches of contract, in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Elizabeth offers the following services, among others, for community associations:
- enforcement of association governing documents, including seeking injunctive relief and governing rule violation proceedings from start to finish;
- amendment of association governing documents, including amendments to condominium declarations to comply with the Illinois Condominium Property Act, amendments transferring limited common elements (such as parking or storage spaces), and substantive rule change amendments (such as prohibiting smoking or limiting rentals);
- advice on collection of unpaid assessments;
- review of association contracts, including but not limited to management contracts, elevator maintenance contracts, landscaping contracts, bulk cable and internet contracts, pool maintenance contracts, laundry contracts, parking contracts and construction contracts;
- review and provide advice regarding financing options for large-scale projects, including review of proposed loan terms and assistance in loan closing and requirements for special assessments;
- resolution of disputes between homeowners and the association; and
- assistance with board meetings, membership meetings and board elections.
Elizabeth also has experience handling complex commercial litigation matters, in administrative, state, and federal courts. She has also litigated appeals in the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Court, and the Seventh and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, including preparation of appellate briefing and oral argument.
Prior to joining the firm, Elizabeth clerked for the Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County. There, she had gained experience researching and drafting opinions on a variety of equity issues, including insurance declaratory judgments, constitutional questions and administrative review cases.