The #MeToo movement has empowered people to come forward with their experiences of sexual harassment, misconduct and assault and has put a spotlight on the pervasiveness of this issue in a multitude of industries. Prompted by the movement, companies and organizations, including colleges, universities and K-12 schools, are reexamining their processes for handling these kinds of complaints through a new lens.
Saul Ewing’s Campus Investigations Team works with our education institution clients to assist them by:
- Evaluating their handling of sexual harassment, misconduct and assault allegations in the past; conducting new objective reviews and investigations of historic misconduct when necessary; and recommending investigation process improvements
- Conducting objective internal investigations of new sexual harassment, misconduct and assault claims
- Defending clients in related litigation or government investigations, to the extent that the firm has not served as the factual investigator
- Providing both reactive and proactive compliance reviews and audits and assisting with internal disciplinary processes
- Revising handbooks, policies and compliance programs that adopt recent findings and adhere to relevant regulations, including Title IX, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act
- Working with crisis management consultants to handle relevant media communications
- Providing training sessions that address what constitutes harassment, misconduct and assault; who can be responsible for engaging in this conduct; and how to mitigate and deal with allegations of this inappropriate behavior
With attorneys from our Higher Education, Labor and Employment, White Collar & Government Enforcement, and Litigation Groups, our Campus Investigations Team includes skilled investigators, former prosecutors, trial lawyers and attorneys who focus their practice on the education sector. They work together to conduct objective investigations, thorough evaluations and careful analyses to help our clients address claims and, when appropriate, make effective changes to their policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment, misconduct and assault claims—guiding them through a new landscape of widespread public attention and the demand for sweeping change.