James H. Shulman
An experienced commercial real estate attorney, Jim Shulman focuses his practice on representing clients on a broad range of real estate matters. His practice includes commercial real estate development, acquisitions and sales of shopping centers, retail stores, office and apartment buildings, storage facilities and leasing and financing and related business arrangements throughout the United States.
Jim has negotiated leases and related documents with national and regional restaurant chains and numerous national and regional retail tenants.
In addition to many years in private practice in Connecticut and Massachusetts, Jim served for several years as Executive Vice President and General Counsel to Ahold Real Estate Company, which was then the U.S. real estate subsidiary of Royal Ahold of the Netherlands (operator of Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets). While at Ahold, he assisted the company in developing 20+ shopping centers before returning to private practice.
Jim's extensive experience and contacts in the real estate industry assist clients in achieving their desired results.
- Represented Boston-based client with launch of real estate acquisition and development company that has in just two years completed 12 transactions, comprising 17 properties and 2,400,000 square feet of space including urban office, suburban office, retail, R&D/flex/lab and self-storage across New England and Southeast U.S.
- Represented a Massachusetts-based development company in their expansion of their real estate portfolio including acquisition, development, redevelopment, financing and leasing of properties across Massachusetts and throughout New England.
- Represented national retailers in acquisition and development of new locations at University Station, Westwood, MA, a new mixed use development consisting of retail, residential, office and hotel.
- Represented a Boston-based developer in its acquisition, development, financing and leasing of a shopping center in western Massachusetts.
- Represented a joint venture between a Massachusetts developer and its equity partner in the acquisition and financing of the GTECH Center in downtown Providence, Rhode Island.
- Represented a joint venture between a Massachusetts developer and a REIT for the acquisition and financing of numerous self-storage facilities throughout New England.