The legal issues facing colleges and universities are more challenging than ever, reaching every corner of campus life with increasing complexity. From discipline to drones, Title IX to taxes, FERPA to financing, Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr has a deep bench of lawyers who wrestle with these issues every day, including acting as general counsel to small colleges and universities without in-house lawyers. In the past few years, our Higher Education Practice has rendered service in some of the nation’s highest profile matters:
- Multi-campus university systems in large-scale government investigations and in proactive compliance reviews and audits (Clery Act, Title IX, Title IV, Title II, minors on campus);
- Colleges and universities of all sizes and types on comprehensive policy reviews and revisions;
- Defending institutions in front-page news lawsuits, including allegations of hazing, child abuse, sexual violence, student death, suicide, faculty dismissal, racial discrimination, ADA discrimination, etc.
Other Areas of Practice
- Faculty and other employee relations
- Tenure and promotion; benefits; FMLA, discrimination claims
- Regulatory compliance across the campus
- Health care, including HIPPA
- Non-profit tax issues
- Litigation defense
- IP and technology protection
- Cybersecurity and privacy, including GDPR and FERPA
- Transactions – vendor contracts; real estate, public finance; research partnerships
- Endowment development; estates and trusts
See Related Services Offered for Higher Education
An educational CLE series for higher education institutions. Learn more here.
Lawyers from our Higher Education, K-12 Schools and Labor & Employment Practices discuss issues facing educational institutions in connection with the return of students, faculty and employees, as well as the financial implications upon returning or not returning to campus.
Real Estate Services
The group includes attorneys who have received the following recognition:
- Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA
- Benchmark Litigation - State Litigation Star in Pennsylvania
Benchmark Litigation employs researchers who conduct interviews with litigators and their clients, examine recent casework handled by law firms and ask individual litigators to offer their professional opinions on peers.
- Best Lawyers in America list
Inclusion in Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review, employing a sophisticated, conscientious, rational, and transparent survey process designed to elicit meaningful and substantive evaluations of the quality of legal services.
- Benchmark Litigation: Under 40 Hot List
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA)
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)