Regulatory, Compliance and Government
Government is growing every day. Regardless of which political party is in power, the scope of government regulation at the state, county and local levels, and the impact of government on all types of business has regularly increased. Regardless of your type of business -- manufacturing or finance, communications or service -- and regardless of your size, you will need skilled assistance to navigate your way through your governments’ cross currents of regulation.
Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr attorneys understand government and the potential impact of its grinding power on your business's goals. We also understand that, to the extent possible, the overwhelming majority of our clients want to fully comprehend the regulatory structure applicable to their businesses so that they can achieve their goals while complying fully with the regulations. From time to time, though, some need to proceed otherwise and challenge a particularly burdensome law or regulation. Our attorneys have a keen understanding of the federal, state and local laws affecting businesses from the relationships we have developed from representing clients before many county and local governments and state and federal agencies. These connections help our attorneys to not only keep clients current on the evolution of regulations but to also provide the perspective they have gained from effectively navigating the government’s regulatory demands, securing government approvals and, as a last resort, defending you in litigation involving the government.
Our understanding of how the process works also comes from our work on behalf of governments, including representing municipal, county and state governments as bond counsel and in tax-exempt and taxable financing as well as public schools in real estate deals. Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr also has dozens of attorneys who have previously worked inside government or currently serve in agencies supporting government and on state, county, municipal and even school boards. This includes:
- a former general counsel and chief of staff to a Pennsylvania governor;
- a former chief of staff and a former deputy legal counsel to a Delaware governor;
- a former chief of staff to a Maryland lieutenant governor;
- two former Pennsylvania state legislators;
- two former chief counsels to the Pennsylvania Departments of General Services, including one who also was chief counsel to PennDOT;
- a former chief of litigation for the Pennsylvania Governor's Office of the General Counsel;
- a former assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania;
- a former state insurance commissioner for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
- a former investigator for the New Jersey Victims of Crime Compensation Office, Department of Law & Public Safety, Office of the Attorney General;
- a former assistant attorney general and assistant counsel to what is now the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection;
Our firm also has strategic alliances with lobbying, government and non-legal consulting firms to help our attorneys track legislation and regulations so we can share these developments with you.
The group includes attorneys who have received the following recognition: